Beef and Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef, or ground turkey
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can chili beans
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Cook ground meat, bell pepper and next 2 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium high heat until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well, and return to Dutch oven.
- Stir in tomatoes and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in corn, and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili is thickened.
Makes 8 servings
Prep: 20 min.
Cook: 50 min