Summer Tomato and Corn Salad with Basil
- 1 large ear local yellow or yellow-and-white corn
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, green and white parts
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4-5 large basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint, optional
Ignore home-gardeners boasting about the plate-size tomatoes on their vines and running ears of corn straight from the stalk to the pot. Local produce can provide pleasure equal to homegrown if vegetable gardening is not an option for you. Corn’s sweetness and crunch are irresistible. Tomatoes are unique for their luscious combination of tart-sweet flavor. Purists enjoy them seasoned with only salt and pepper. However, fat helps our bodies utilize the abundance of carotenoids in tomatoes and corn, so a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on tomatoes and a light brushing of butter on corn is both delicious and smart. Toss in some fresh herbs, for flavor and health benefits, as well. Try a mixture of basil and spearmint on tomatoes and cilantro on corn.
- Shuck corn and steam for 3 minutes. When corn is cool enough to handle, cut kernels off ear and place in mixing bowl.
- Half tomatoes vertically and cut one half into 4 wedges for garnish. Remove seeds from remaining tomatoes. Chop tomatoes and add to corn. Add red pepper, green onions and sweet onion. In small bowl, whisk lime juice with salt, mustard powder and 4 or 5 grinds pepper until salt dissolves. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently with fork to combine. At this point, salad can sit up to 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stack basil leaves, then cut crosswise into thin strips, and add to salad. Add mint, if using. Toss to combine herbs with salad. Garnish with tomato wedges. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
Click here for more healthy recipes from www.FoodConsumer.org
Per serving: 45 calories, <1 g fat (0 g sat fat), 10 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 2 g fiber 242 mg sodium.