Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 large slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice, crushing with your hands. Stir in brown sugar and bread; bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until bread is completely saturated and starting to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and process soup with immersion blender until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in chicken broth and brandy. Return soup to boil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve, sprinkeld with chopped chives.