- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 20 dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the next five ingredients (chili powder through ginger powder) and saute for 2 more minutes, or until spices are fragrant.
- Add chicken to onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is long pink, approximately 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine tomato paste and water in a separate bowl; stir until tomato paste is completed dissolved.
- When chicken is cooked, add the tomato paste mixture, apricots, sugar and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Spoon apricot chicken mixture over rice and serve.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Nutrition Information (1 cup rice and 1 cup chicken): 572 calories, 27% fat (17 grams), 50% carbohydrate, 23% protein, 7 g fiber, 4 mg iron, 69 mg calcium, 31 mcg folate.