- 4 large Bell Peppers (red, yellow or green)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice (perferably brown)
- 1 1/2 cups slow-cooked beans or 15.5 ounce can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup tomato salsa (hot or mild)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Cut the tops off the Bell peppers, saving them for later use. Remove & discard the seeds and membranes. Arrange the peppers upright in a 5 1/2 – 6 quart crockpot.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the rice, beans, salsa & scallions. Season to taste. Mix well. Fill the peppers evenly with the rice mixture, packing it lightly. Replace the pepper tops.
- In the same bowl, combine the tomatoes, cumin, oregano & sugar. Season to taste. Pour over and around the peppers in the crockpot. Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours, until the peppers are fork-tender but still hold their shape. Serve hot.