Italian Vegetable Stew with Marinara Sauce
- 1 26 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound of ground hamburger, ground turkey or chicken, or firm tofu, cubed
- ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of basil
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- Put the olive oil in a large stock pot and first add the onions and pepper. Then add the zucchini and squash and crushed tomatoes and spices and stir together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- While the vegetables are cooking, heat the ground beef or turkey in a large skillet and cook until browned. Then add the ground meat to the vegetables and simmer on medium heat until the vegetables are cooked through and tender.
Serves 2 to 3
(Submitted by Milt Martyny)