It’s easy to feel isolated as the temperatures drop and fewer of us are out and about. As the days get shorter our tendency is to hunker down and avoid the chill, but a lack of social engagement can lead to a decline in mental and physical health.
- Volunteer: Whether you’re looking to make a difference through your church or make a positive impact directly with Pottstown area organizations, joining with people who care about the same causes as you do can make a huge difference in our community and create lasting friendships. The Pottstown Cluster of Religious Communities relies on volunteers to provide food security, housing stability, and educational support in the Pottstown area.
- Do something different: From YMCA classes to new experiences like taking a cooking class or visiting an art exhibit, there are chances every day for exploring something new and making friends in the process.
- Get festive: Make an effort to get together with friends and family to celebrate the season. And if you really feel like staying in, invite the people you care about to come to your home for food and conversation.
Tri-County residents reported a greater sense of community than residents in the surrounding area. In the most recent Community Health Needs Assessment, 75% reported medium to high social capital. For the other 25%, that means there's an active and socially engaged community waiting for you to join.
Social media and television are no substitute for fresh air and personal interaction. Take advantage of every opportunity for service, personal growth, and building relationships this winter.