By: Mission Healthy Living
June 07, 2019
One of the Foundation’s priority areas for awarding grants is improving parks, programming and the built environment to increase access to physical activity.
According to the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), local parks and recreation help provide several health and wellness benefits:
- Higher physical activity levels for adults and youth
- Connection to nature, which studies demonstrate relieves stress, tightens interpersonal relationships and improves mental health
- Opportunities for hiking, running or walking to relieve stress
- Reduced average weight of children (vs. less-green areas)
- Numerous studies correlate parks to better physical and mental health
On Family Health & Fitness Day USA®, the NRPA has five recommendations for getting active at local parks:
- Take a walk. Pick a pathway from our Out for a Walk? Try These Trails blog, from local parks and trails to Valley Forge National Historical Park.
- Go for a swim. Here are some local options:
- Play outside. Find a new hobby in our Take Advantage of Spring with These Niche Activities blog, like outdoor yoga or disc golf.
- Enroll in a fitness program.
- Create your own exercise routine.
What’s your favorite activity when out in Pottstown parks and recreation areas?