Ok so I have no kids this weekend and no plans. How will I spend my time? File all my bills from 2014 and get working on my taxes? Fill out the long college financial aid form? Get those heaps of laundry done? Clean out all the closets and de-clutter a couple of little piles? Do everything on my long to-do list and feel ever-so accomplished? Sure but that is no fun. I am a task-doer so what I need more of in my life is fun. I run run run with three teenagers so it is time to do something for me. I don’t know exactly what I will do this weekend but here are some ideas:
- Do you enjoy your own company? I know I do and I relish my time alone and enjoy it. Some people I know are afraid to stop and be with themselves but that is because they are not comfortable in their own skin. Learn to be ok with having time to yourself if you’re not comfortable – it’s important.
- Task task task – they will always be there but remember this is about balance. Sure do some of the things on your list but also do something that is good for your soul.
- Go out to a movie – alone? Sure!! I did it two weeks ago and I loved it! Or invite a friend.
- Leave town – go somewhere you’ve never been and explore – alone – or not.
- Go visit a friend from out of town and re-connect.
- Read a book. Exercise. Nap. Build a fire and turn on some music.
- Call people and chat.
- Catch up on American Idol or another favorite TV show you’ve recorded and have nine episodes you haven’t had time to watch.
- Invite people over for dinner or better yet, meet them out for dinner – no fuss!
- Do some writing. Draw something. Create something.
- Think of something you like to do that you haven’t done in a long time and do that – do you like museums? Antique stores? Shopping (bleh)? Winter hiking (Awesome)? Massages?
And how about if you never get a chance to be alone? Well there must be someone who can take care of whoever you’re taking care of so you can get a few hours to yourself. You deserve it! Whatever you do, do something alone at least once a week and enjoy you.