What is one of the most challenging parts of transitioning from a full-time grad student to a full-time working professional, you ask? For me, it’s coordinating my sleep schedule to fit my new routine. As I’m sure you’ve realized by the title of this blog post, I LOATHE waking up early. It’s just never been my thing, as I’m definitely more of a night owl. While I’m not one of those people that needs coffee to get moving in the wee hours, because I’d prefer to be right back in my bed snuggled up in my five million pillows. I mean, if the sun isn’t up yet, why should I be? Don’t fix it if it’s not broken!
It also doesn’t help that my body is accustomed to staying up late (pulling all-nighters to cram for finals, watching Law & Order: SVU marathons with my girlfriends…you know, the usual college stuff) and rising later in the day to get my full eight hours, of course J
In my quest for more sleep and to evict the bags that have taken up residency under my eyes, I’ve asked family and friends for their night time/morning rituals that best work for them. Here are my favorites!
- A warm cup of tea (minus the sugar) or milk before you settle in for the night
- Reading a book at bedtime instead of staring at your phone
- Listening to soothing music to quiet your mind and get it ready to sleep
- Take a hot bath or shower to relax you
- Go to bed as early as possible (keep yourself moving throughout the day so you’re tired and ready to hit the hay come bedtime)
In the morning:
- Keep curtains and/or blinds slightly open so that the sunlight will act as a natural alarm clock and awaken you in the morning (make sure to set a real alarm clock for sunrise too just in case!)
- Even if you don’t want to, eat a little something when you wake up (This is hard for me as I’m usually not hungry in the morning, but I want to get better at doing it)
- Instead of immediately reaching for your phone when you wake up to check the latest news, get out of bed and stretch.
- Go for an early morning stroll or run (I’m personally not a runner, but the walking I will definitely want to start doing) to get you moving and ready to start the day
- Instead of coffee, try a warm glass of water with lemon to cleanse you and get the blood flowing first thing in the morning
For me, and I’m sure for many, getting more sleep has always been a gradual process that doesn’t happen overnight (no pun intended), but it is definitely an important aspect of my health I do not want to neglect.
Sweet dreams, everyone! I’ll be counting sheep right there with you every night….1…2…3…Zzzzz J