Healthy Choices, Healthy Families (HCHF) is a pediatric weight management program developed by the Pottstown Area Health & Wellness Foundation and managed by Creative Health Services. It supports parents and families as they learn strategies to shape healthful eating, lifelong physical activity and positive relational behaviors.
- Discover healthy foods
- Increase physical activity
- Connect with family
- Improve health and wellbeing
- Enjoy a complimentary YMCA Family Membership
- Participate in individual appointments and group activities
With one year of consistent guidance and encouragement from HCHF team, families will receive a:
- Registered Dietitian
- Personal Trainer
- Parenting Coach
HCHF is a one-year family inclusive treatment program designed to be flexible, individualized and supportive of all enrolled families. Delivered in the family home and at the YMCA, this program is implemented in phases and includes one year of consistent evidence-based guidance and encouragement from the HCHF Team, as well as access and referrals to other services, if needed. Referral Criteria:
- Children ages 8-12
- BMI >85th percentile
- 3+ years resident of Pottstown area (10 mile radius of PMMC)
- Motivated family, willing to commit to 1 year of treatment (2x per week)
- Children must not have any medical conditions unrelated to weight
- Physical and clearance from primary care physician
- Blood work (glucose, lipids, HbA1C, etc.)
- Questionnaire regarding medical history, home life, schedules, behaviors and goals
- 3-day food log/journal
- Family Interview at Creative Health Services Office
- Commitment of at least one primary caregiver
Who can participate? Any family with an 8-12 year old who struggles with being overweight or obese and lives within 10 miles of Pottstown Memorial Medical Center. The HCHF program is free to participants.
"We provide tools to get and keep families active," Foundation President Dave Kraybill said. "Aiding children and families in their journey toward health will only reduce future medical expenditures."
Read more about this important subject in our eBook, Battling Childhood Obesity.
For more information, please contact Jessica Garnett at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 484-941-0500 ext. 1217.